Why have I been identified as a CSA?

The Code of Federal Regulations identifies the following four categories of employees as CSAs:

  • Campus police department or security department employees.
  • Any individual or individuals who have responsibility for campus security but who do not constitute a campus police department or a campus security department (e.g., an individual who is responsible for monitoring the entrance into institutional property).
  • Any individual or organization specified in an institution’s statement of campus security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses.
  • An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to, student housing, student discipline, and campus judicial proceedings.
  • If the functions of your position aligns with any of these categories, you are a CSA.

What are my responsibilities as a CSA?

As a CSA, you are responsible for timely reporting to the UC Davis Police Department, any Clery crime that is reported to you when you are operating in your professional capacity. Immediately reporting crimes enables the police to determine if they should send a timely warning or emergency notification to the campus to help ensure safety. The report will also be counted into the annual crime statistics published in the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report.

How am I supposed to know if something qualifies as a Clery crime?

A list of Clery crimes, along with definitions is provided on the Clery Crimes page, and on the crime reporting form available for your use. If you are not sure that a crime qualifies as a Clery crime, report it to the police department. The police will make the determination regarding whether or not the report should be included in the crime statistics.

What if I’m not sure a crime actually happened?

If a crime is reported to you, you must report it to the police department. Only a police officer can make a determination about whether or not a crime actually occurred.

Should I investigate what was reported to me?

No. Your responsibility is to make the report to the police. You should not conduct any investigation or draw any conclusions about whether or not the reported crime occurred.

What if the crime occurred off-campus?

Any Clery crime that occurs within the Clery geography must be reported. Off-campus locations that are part of the Clery geography include:

  • Public areas that border the campus.
  • Any building or property off-campus that is owned or controlled by the University and is used in support of or related to educational purposes.
  • Any building or property off-campus that is owned or controlled by the University and is frequently used by students.
  • Any building or property owned or controlled by a registered student organization.

When in doubt, report the crime to the police. They will determine if it is part of the Clery geography.

Who do I contact to make the report?

Crimes should be reported to the UC Davis Police Department immediately, or as soon as practically possible.

For emergencies, call:        

  • 911; or
  • 530-752-1230 (Davis)
  • 916-734-2555 (Sacramento)

For non-emergencies, call:  

  • 530-754-2677 (Davis)
  • 916-734-3841 (Sacramento)

What information do I need to provide?

You should gather as much who, what, when, where, detail about the crime as you can. Gathering this information and providing it to the police will help the police determine the nature of the crime, and whether or not a timely warning or emergency notification should be distributed to the campus.

A crime report form is available to help you in gathering relevant facts.

If the victim of the crime wishes to remain anonymous, both the victim's and the assailant’s (if known) names should be withheld from the police.

When should I make the report?

You should make the report immediately after receiving the information. If you are not able to make the report immediately, you should make it as soon as possible to ensure that any necessary timely warning or emergency notification is made to the campus.

Under no circumstances should you delay reporting to the police department.

How else can I help a student who reports a crime to me?

If a student reports any type of sexual violence, you must report the allegation to the Harassment and Discrimination Advising and Prevention Program (HDAPP) in addition to making a report to the police. You should also refer the student to the Center for Advocacy Resources and Education (CARE). CARE provides additional support and guidance to all victims of sexual violence.

Students who are victims of any type of crime can be referred to the Student Health and Counseling Services, the Women’s Resources and Research Center, the LGBTQIA Resource Center, or the Ombuds office as appropriate.

What if I don’t want to be a CSA?

The Clery Act defines those individuals who must act as CSAs on campus. If your position functions fall into one of those categories, you cannot opt out of being a CSA and are required to report those crimes that are reported to you.

If you believe you have been mistakenly identified as a CSA because your position functions do not fall into one of the identified categories of employees, contact ucdcleryact@ucdavis.edu, providing an explanation or your position description for review.